When New Year’s Resolutions Attack
Posted December 31, 2011on:
I’m happy to say, 2011 was a hella awesome year for me:
- Was my first full calendar year blogging, in which I posted 104 reviews
- I joined Twitter
- I got my first blurb on a book
- I got a promotion at work (ok, not blog related, actually, blog detrimental, but still cool)
- I got really inventive in finding new places in the house to stash books (such as inside the TV stand).
- I participated in two read alongs. We read Dune over the summer, and The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings trilogy this autumn. If you’ve never participated in a read along, they are great fun!
I hope all my bloggy friends had a wonderful 2011 as well, and here’s to all of us having an even better 2012!
But did I reach any of my reading and blogging goals for this year? What about those pesky bookish New Years Resolutions? Way back in December of last year, I proposed that 2011 be the year of “reading what I’ve got”. Fewer trips to the library, fewer trips to the local bookstore, and more trips to the bookshelf for titles I’d purchased once upon a time, but never read. I must have had some time on my hands, because I managed to count up everything I owned, and figure out how much of it I’d read.
So, did I make any headway on reading more books that I owned? Does buying a ton of books and getting some ARCs in the mail skew the results? Cuz I bought a metric sh*t-ton of books. and got a handful of ARCs. I’m not going to count everything I own again, but we can look at the stats of what I reviewed:
of the 104 books I reviewed in 2011:
20 were off my bookshelves
28 were purchased (either new or used)
36 were borrowed from the library or borrowed from friends
20 were ARC’s received from publishers or authors
That New Year’s resolution to “read what I got” instead of buying and borrowing new-to-me titles? Can you say Epic Fail? It’s not my fault tho. . . all my bloggy friends posting reviews of books that looked awesome that I just HAD to read! and with Valente and Kent and Rothfuss and Hodder and Stephenson coming out with new stuff like every five minutes, what’s a girl to do?
I better come up with something more realistic for 2012. Like join a gym (ha! like that’s gonna happen!).
So what are you gonna be up to in 2012?